September means fall is approaching. And fall approaching means enjoying the delectable vegetables that come into season during this time of year. Lovely in-season butternut squash is the star of this tantalizing pizza atop a ricotta and goat cheese melty masterpiece.
- Phyllo Dough or Pre-made Pizza Dough, thawed (I used phyllo dough however its flakiness, while tasty, can be difficult to work with)
- 1 small butternut squash (sliced thinly)
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ white onion (sliced in thin rounds)
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 1 1/4 c. ricotta
- 1 ½ T. chives
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- ¾ tsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. dried garlic
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place the sliced butternut squash and tomatoes on a small sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast vegetables until just soft and golden. Approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Place the onions in a small pan lightly coated with olive oil.
- Cook the onions on a low temperature until caramelized. They should be a rich caramel color when done.
- While the vegetables cook, add the goat cheese and ricotta to a bowl and stir until evenly combined.
- To the cheese mixture add the minced and powdered garlic, thyme, onion powder, parsley, chives, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Place the puff pastry or pizza dough onto a greased cookie sheet. (I used a 12″x17″ cookie sheet). Curl the dough around each edge to form a small crust.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly onto the dough.
- Add the vegetables evenly on top of the cheese mixture.
- Bake the pizza for 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melty.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Guest Blogger: James Madison Dietetics