These lettuce wraps pack loads of fall flavor into one small package. The savory sausage, sweet butternut squash, and fragrant thyme and sage make for a wonderful autumnal flavored meal. This dish is sure to make you, your family, and your belly, very happy.
- 1 head lettuce (green, bib, or butter work best)
- 1 lb sausage (I used loose sage sausage, but any will work)
- 1 small butternut squash (diced)
- 1/3 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 granny smith apple (cut into thin matchsticks)
- 1/8 tsp minced garlic
- 25 oz diced canned tomatoes (I used fire roasted with garlic, but your favorite will work perfectly)
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 2 leaves of sage
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz cotija cheese grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the lettuce leaves and lay them out to dry during the cooking process.
- Coat a large skillet with olive oil and sauté the onions on medium to high heat until just beginning to soften. About 2-3 minutes.
- To the skillet add the diced butternut squash and the minced garlic. Cook stirring often for 7 minutes or until butternut squash softens slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sausage to the skillet with the onions, squash, and garlic. Using a fork or spatula, break up the sausage to form small pieces. Cook for five minutes.
- While the meat mixture cooks, remove the leaves of the thyme from the stem and cut the sage leaves into ribbons.
- After five minutes, add the canned tomatoes and the herbs. Cook for five minutes on medium heat.
- Remove mixture from the heat. Assemble the wraps by placing a spoonful of the mixture into the lettuce cup, top with apple slices and cotija cheese. Enjoy!!!
Guest Blogger: James Madison Dietetics