You’ve probably noticed that eggs have been difficult to find and rising in price at most larger chain grocery stores. This is largely due to an outbreak of the Avian Flu that is sweeping across the nation, affecting flocks of fowl both large and small.
At the co-op we’ve been able to keep eggs on the shelves and prices low because of our awesome local providers, but with the potential threat of the Avian Flu spreading to our area – we wanted to present you with some egg alternatives!
Egg Alternatives for Baking:
- Water, Baking Powder, & Oil – Combine 2 Tbsp of water, 1 tsp of baking powder, and 1 tsp of vegetable oil for every egg needed.
- Carbonated Water – Use ¼ cup of unflavored sparkling water for every egg needed.
- Yogurt or Buttermilk – Use 1/4 cup of plain unsweetened yogurt or buttermilk for every egg needed.
- Vinegar & Baking Soda – Mix 1 tsp of baking soda with 1 Tbsp of vinegar for every eg
- Unsweetened Applesauce – Use ¼ cup of applesauce for every egg needed.
- Flax Seed OR Chia Seeds – Combine 1 Tbsp of Flax OR Chia seeds with 3 Tbsp of water for every egg in the recipe and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Add them to your batter once they become gelatinous.
- Egg Replacement Powders – Bob’s Red Mill makes one & so does Ener-G
- Aquafaba – This is the liquid found in a can of chickpeas. Great for replacing egg whites! Use 2 Tbsp per egg white. Can be whipped into meringues!
Egg Alternatives For Breakfast:
- Tofu + Turmeric – Tofu is a great egg substitute for breakfast, and if you crumble it and then season with some turmeric it will even look like scrambled eggs! We like these recipes for flavorful scrambles!
- Just Egg – This is an egg replacement that you cook the same way you would scrambled eggs! You can find detailed instructions here.
As always, we will weather these times together! If you’d like to view our egg replacement options visit our Co-Go website!