Look no further for a light summer soup that will cool you down in the summer heat; it leaves the senses refreshed and rejuvenated!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 large jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt, for seasoning, plus 1 teaspoon
- 4 firm ripe avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and mashed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- optional, 1/2 cup sour cream
- optional, hot sauce or salsa
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeno and the garlic and cook until slightly soft, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, add the avocados, chicken broth, lemon juice, cilantro, onion mixture, and water. In batches, add to a blender and purée until smooth, straining each batch of purée into a large bowl. Stir in the 1 teaspoon of salt and the 1 teaspoon of pepper
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, around 3 hours.
- Pour the chilled soup into individual bowls. Try adding a drizzle of sour cream and/or hot sauce, and sprinkle cilantro on top.
Guest Bloggers: James Madison Dietetics
Alexandra Balbontin, Taylor Coleman, Julia Danisewicz, Andrea George, and Emily Salvaggio