This is a super easy recipe to whip up on a weeknight that looks and tastes as if it took you all day. It is healthy and satisfying and with one easy alteration can be made vegetarian if you so desire! So, relax, make use of leftover vegetables you have in your fridge, and cuddle up to this delicious and filling meal.
- 12 oz package of frozen gnocchi (kept frozen until placed on sheet)
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes, whole
- 1 ½ cup asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green pepper, cubed
- ½ yellow onion, slivered
- 1 ½ cup bacon, chopped (can be withheld if vegetarian)
- 5 oz package whole basil leaves, torn
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp butter
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Line a large baking sheet with foil
- Place the prepared vegetables and frozen gnocchi onto the baking sheet. (*Note: if the pan is overcrowded, feel free to spread it out onto more than one baking sheet as I did. * )
- Coat the vegetables with an even layer of olive oil, and add the garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix to coat evenly.
- Place the chopped bacon around the tray on top of the vegetables.
- Cut the four tablespoons of butter into ¼ inch cubes and spread it evenly on top of the sheet tray. (This is important. The butter is needed to ensure the gnocchi does not dry out.)
- Place the tray or trays into the oven for 25-30 minutes until vegetables are cooked and the bacon is crispy.
- Remove from the oven, top with parmesan cheese, and enjoy!
Guest Blogger: James Madison Dietetics