Fire up the grill and try this Greek inspired turkey burger with homemade tzatziki sauce. This burger is perfect for summer grilling and will be sure to satisfy everyone.
For the tzatziki
- ½ english cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated
- ½ non-fat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh mint
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to liking
(I always like to make more sauce when I cook this recipe for other people, it seems there can never be enough tzatziki sauce!)
For the burgers:
- 1½ pounds ground turkey
- ½ small onion, minced (¼ cup)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- Add tomatoes, arugula, or more cucumbers for extra flavor!
- Heat a grill to high.
- Make the tzatziki: in a bowl combine the cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, mint and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator until meal time.
- Make the burgers: in a medium bowl, use a fork to combine the turkey, onion, parsley, and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Carefully form the mixture into 16 small patties. Grill until fully cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- To serve, try heating the pitas on the grill or in the oven; halve and fill with the mini burgers. Add whatever garnish you and your family or friends desire, and enjoy!
Guest Bloggers: James Madison Dietetics
Alexandra Balbontin, Taylor Coleman, Julia Danisewicz, Andrea George, Emily Salvaggio, and Taylor Singleton