These little treats will make the perfect dinner on a cold winter night or add a spark to your next holiday party. Not only are they tasty and satisfying, but they are filled to the brim with nutritious ingredients. Try these today!
- 1 package of whole wheat lasagna noodles
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- 16 oz mild Italian sausage (uncased)
- 6 basil leaves chopped
- ¼ tsp poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp rosemary
- 32 oz whole milk ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Season a large pot of water with salt. Set on high to boil and cook the noodles to al dente. (Tips: Add olive oil to the water so the noodles don’t stick together. After cooking, rinse with cold water and drizzle with olive oil to further prevent sticking.)
- Coat a large pan with olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium to high heat for five minutes until just translucent.
- Add the butternut squash, minced garlic, poultry seasoning, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper, and cook for ten minutes.
- Add the sausage and basil and fully cook. Approximately 8-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the ricotta, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, egg, salt and pepper. Set aside
- Coat a 9 x 13 pan or larger with olive oil.
- Form the roll-ups. Spread an even amount of the ricotta mixture onto a noodle. Add an even layer of the butternut squash mixture on ¾ of the noodle. Starting at one end, begin loosely rolling the noodle until it is fully rolled. Place the rolled noodle in the oiled pan and repeat.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil over the top of the noodles.
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of mozzarella and parmesan cheese over the noodles.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Enjoy!
Guest Blogger: James Madison Dietetics