Caramelized Banana Bread (Vegan and Gluten Free)
There are few things more comforting and delicious than a thick slice of freshly baked banana bread. If you have overly ripe bananas lying around, turn them into this delicious caramelized banana bread. The brown sugar adds a rich caramel-like flavor and complements the bananas well. This bread is perfect for breakfast, snack, or dessert and is made with simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
2 cups gluten free oats, blended into flour
3 mashed bananas + 1 banana sliced lengthwise for topping
½ cup brown sugar + 2 tsp. for topping
½ cup almond milk
2 tbsp. ground flax seed dissolved in 5 tbsp. hot water
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
Coconut Oil Spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare flax seed and water mixture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash 3 bananas with a fork. Once the bananas are mashed well, add in ½ cup brown sugar, almond milk, and flax seed mixture. Mix well until all ingredients are combined. Next add in oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix all ingredients until combined.
- Spray a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with coconut oil spray. Next, pour batter into the pan. Slice your remaining banana in half lengthwise and place the two halves on top of the banana bread. Sprinkle the banana halves with the remaining 2 tsp. brown sugar. Bake banana bread for 60-65 minutes.
- Let banana bread cool for 15 minutes before enjoying!
By Tiffany Wu / Guest Blogger
Tiffany is a student at JMU, majoring in dietetics. Her family owned a Chinese restaurant when she was growing up, so her passion for food and cooking began at an early age. She especially likes creating delicious and healthy plant-based recipes.