Makes 4-6 servings
What’s more comforting than a hot bowl of soup on a cold Winter night? This hearty black bean and vegetable soup features a simple ingredient list and can be made in as little as 30 minutes. Black beans are an affordable and delicious way to incorporate more nutrients into your diet. Did you know a ½ cup of black beans has as much protein as an egg? Beans are also a great source of fiber and iron. Enjoy this flavorful and filling black bean and vegetable soup with a squeeze of fresh lime.
1 tbsp. avocado oil
1 onion, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. cumin
32 ounces vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lime, sliced
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Sauté vegetables in avocado oil for 6-8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cumin and sauté for 1 minute. Add vegetable broth and beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer 2 cups of soup to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add blended soup back to the pot and mix well to combine. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and enjoy!
By Tiffany Wu / Guest Blogger
Tiffany is a student at JMU, majoring in dietetics. Her family owned a Chinese restaurant when she was growing up, so her passion for food and cooking began at an early age. She especially likes creating delicious and healthy plant-based recipes.