Strawberries and chocolate are a deliciously perfect combination. The elegant red and black colors invite a rich and deep sweetness you can taste before the first bite.
Valentine’s Day is a wonderful occasion to enjoy strawberries and chocolate. This simple pie incorporates 5 ingredients for full chocolatey goodness. With only a few ingredients, you can surprise a special person in your life with this homemade decadent dessert.
Ingredients (9” pie)
(3) 4oz. semi-sweet chocolate bars
1 ½ c. heavy whipping cream
1 package of chocolate crème sandwich cookies
½ c. unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
1 lb. strawberries, sliced
To make the crust:
- Process cookies in a food processor to a small crumb size. Move cookie crumbs to a large bowl, and combine with melted butter until well incorporated.
- Transfer to a 9” pie or tart pan. Press the crumbs down along the bottom and sides of the pan using a spatula. Refrigerate the crust for 1 hour or until set.
To make the ganache:
- Break chocolate into chunks in a heat-safe bowl.
- Heat heavy whipping cream to a slight boil, then pour into the bowl of chocolate. Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate into the pie crust, and chill until set 4-6 hours. When ganache is set, arrange and press sliced strawberries on the top!
Add extra strawberries into your pie by placing sliced strawberries on the crust before pouring in the ganache. Or, drizzle melted white chocolate over the finished pie.
Madeleine is a senior at James Madison University, studying to be a registered dietitian. She loves exploring recipes with fresh and nutritious ingredients. As a native to the Shenandoah Valley, she passionately supports the local food economy in Harrisonburg.