Makes 1 (12 inch) pizza
This barbecue jackfruit pizza is my plant-based version of barbecue chicken pizza and is a unique meal to make and enjoy this summer. Young jackfruit is also known as unripe jackfruit and is often used in savory dishes due to its meaty texture. It tastes similar to barbecue chicken when shredded and flavored with barbecue sauce. This starchy, tropical fruit is low in calories and contains fiber, potassium, and vitamin C. The pizza is topped with a creamy, tangy ranch flavored hemp dressing. Hemp seeds are high in protein and are rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These mighty seeds are incredibly versatile and have a mild, nutty flavor and soft texture. You can add a sprinkle of hemp seeds to oatmeal, smoothies, and salads for an extra nutritional boost.
1 (12 inch) Pizza crust (I used Rustic Crust Classic Sourdough)
1 (14 ounce) can jackfruit, drained
1 cup barbecue sauce (2/3 cup for jackfruit, 1/3 cup for pizza crust)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
½ cup hemp seeds
½ cup unsweetened soymilk
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tsp. apple cider vinegar
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Shred jackfruit using two forks. Stir in 2/3 cup barbecue sauce and mix well.
- Spread barbecue jackfruit mixture onto pizza crust. Arrange red onions on top of jackfruit in a single layer.
- Bake pizza for 10 minutes.
- While the pizza is baking, prepare the dressing by combining hemp seeds, soymilk, garlic, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper in a blender. Blend for 30 seconds until the dressing is creamy and smooth.
- Top pizza with dressing. Serve immediately and enjoy!
By Tiffany Wu / Guest Blogger
Tiffany is a student at JMU, majoring in dietetics. Her family owned a Chinese restaurant when she was growing up, so her passion for food and cooking began at an early age. She especially likes creating delicious and healthy plant-based recipes.